Students taking an online course must have a computer that is capable of connecting to and interacting in a Blackboard online class. In order to use Blackboard effectively, it is recommended that students meet the following technical and proficiency requirements:
- A computer that can connect to the Internet by high-speed access (DSL, Cable, FiOS).
- A laptop or desktop computer running a Windows or Mac operating system.
- Phones, tablets, and other handheld mobile devices are not currently supported.
- Chromebooks are not currently supported.
- Your monitor resolution is set to 1024×768 or higher for best results.
- A computer that has a 1GHz processor speed with at least 256MB RAM.
- A sound card, webcam, and speakers (optional).
- Windows OS (Vista, 7, 8, 10) or Mac OSX (10.7+)
- A word processing program that can save files in doc, docx, txt, or rtf format. Note that IT Services offers MS Office ProPlus free of charge for all current Indiana Tech students. A free alternative to MS Office can be found at LibreOffice.org.
- Internet Browser: Firefox 32 or higher (Recommended), Chrome 34 or higher (Recommended), Safari (Mac only), Internet Explorer 9+
- Internet Explorer is only supported in Standards Mode and is not recommend.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Flash Player
- Windows Media Player
Computer and operating system skills
- Uploading files from a personal computer to the web.
- Downloading files and saving them to a computer or storage device.
- Sending and receiving emails.
- Able to use Microsoft Word and/or Excel in order to complete required course assignments.
- Able to identify different file formats and their corresponding software applications.
Web browsing skills
- Ability to use an internet browser.
- Ability to identify and follow hyperlinks.
- Ability to enter web addresses (URLs).
- Ability to complete and submit online forms.
If you have questions or concerns about meeting the minimum technical or proficiency requirements listed above, please contact email@example.com for assistance.